Admission information for prospective students

The U of M offers initial teaching licensure programs in these areas:

The U of M also offers administrative licensure and licensure in parent and family education and reading.

More information on teaching programs at the U of M is available on the College of Education and Human Development website.

Undergraduate education majors

You can major in agricultural education, music education, or special education, and earn your teaching license at the same time you complete your bachelor’s degree.

The U of M also has undergraduate degrees in early childhood and elementary education foundations, which prepare you for the graduate level teaching programs.

Transfer students

Find more information about transferring to the U of M at the Office of Admissions website.

Recommended coursework

Required courses vary by subject area, so you should check on the specific requirements for the teaching areas you’re interested in. However, there are a few courses that are common requirements for many teacher preparation programs. These include:

  • General or introductory psychology
  • College algebra or equivalent
  • Literature course

Students who have completed a bachelor’s degree or higher

Most of our teacher licensure programs are at the master’s level, so a bachelor’s degree is required to apply. In addition, a minimum 2.80 GPA is required for most of our teacher licensure programs. Strong applicants have experience working with youth and have completed prerequisite content area courses. Find the specific application requirements for the program you’re interested in under the list of licensure areas.

Current U of M students

  • Check out the DirecTrack to Teaching program to get early exposure to the culture of teaching and schools. DirecTrack to Teaching is for current U of M first-year students and sophomores who are interested in teaching the following subjects:  art, dance, English, math, science, second languages, social studies, and theatre.  Explore the education field and get on the path to admission to the graduate teacher licensure program. You’ll stay in your major and college while taking education-related courses, doing service-learning in local classrooms, and building relationships with other future teachers on campus.
  • Choose a major that supports the subject you want to teach.
    The U of M offers over 140 undergraduate majors. Check out majors which pair well with different fields of instruction.
  • Contact your academic adviser and Career Services office.
    Advisers will help you plan your coursework so that you can meet prerequisites for the licensure program you’re interested in. Find the name of your academic adviser in your MyU portal.
    Career services staff provide resources for exploring teaching, one-on-one career counseling, and other opportunities and events to help you on your path to teaching.
  • Get experience in a classroom setting.
    This helps you get a feel for different classroom environments and talk with working teachers about the field. Contact a district office, school, or community organization for opportunities. Visit the Center for Community-Engaged Learning to learn more about volunteer opportunities. GoldPASS is another great resource to find volunteer opportunities.
College of Education and Human Development | 178 Pillsbury Dr. SE | Minneapolis, MN 55455 USA

© 2021 Regents of the University of Minnesota. All rights reserved. The University of Minnesota is an equal opportunity educator and employer. Privacy Policy