Teacher training at the University of Minnesota
We want you to succeed from your first day in the classroom. That’s why our teacher education programs prepare you to be an expert in your field and an effective teacher. As a teacher licensure student at the University, you’ll be a part of:
- A world-renowned research university. You’ll learn from a community of faculty and graduate students who are respected experts in education. They are engaged in research that’s impacting the children, schools, and communities you’ll be working in.
- A program that is well respected in Minnesota school districts. Our students are highly sought after by Minnesota School principals and superintendents because of our reputation for effective preparation.
- A cohort of other teacher licensure students, so you can learn from your peers and build a lasting network of teacher colleagues.
Why are some teacher preparation programs offered at the graduate level?
The University of Minnesota offers most of our teacher preparation programs at the graduate level because it affords you the opportunity to master your content knowledge first. Then, we can place you into real classrooms in ways that work best for you and our school partners, so that we create an optimal experience. Our teacher education students collaborate with co-teachers to design and deliver lessons, work one-on-one with struggling learners, and assess student learning.
This model supports not only teacher preparation, but also classroom experiences for the preK-12 learners. This model:
- increases instructional options for teachers
- reduces student/teacher ratios
- addresses the size and diversity of today’s classrooms
- increases student engagement and participation