Admission information for prospective students

Transfer students

Find more information about transferring to the U of M at the Office of Admissions website. Also, explore recommended teaching licensure programs for majors at the U of M.

Recommended coursework

Required courses vary by subject area, so you should check on the specific requirements for the teaching areas you're interested in. However, there are a few courses that are common requirements for many teacher preparation programs. These include:
  • General or introductory psychology
  • College algebra or equivalent
  • Literature course

Students who have completed a bachelor's degree or higher

Most of our teacher licensure programs are at the master’s level, so a bachelor’s degree is required to apply. In addition, a minimum 2.80 GPA is required for most of our teacher licensure programs. Strong applicants have experience working with youth and have completed prerequisite content area courses. Find the specific application requirements for the program you’re interested in under the list of licensure areas.

Current U of M students

  • Check out the DirecTrack to Teaching program to get early exposure to the culture of teaching and schools. DirecTrack to Teaching is for current U of M freshmen and sophomores who want to explore the education field and get on the path to admission to the graduate teacher licensure program. You’ll stay in your major and college while taking education-related courses, doing service-learning in local classrooms, and building relationships with other future teachers on campus.
  • Choose a major that supports the subject you want to teach.
    The U of MN offers over 130 undergraduate majors. Check out majors which pair well with different fields of instruction.
  • Contact your academic adviser and Career Services office.
    Advisers will help you plan your coursework so that you can meet prerequisites for the licensure program you're interested in. Find the name of your academic adviser in your MyU portal.
    Career services staff provide resources for exploring teaching, one-on-one career counseling, and other opportunities and events to help you on your path to teaching.
  • Get experience in a classroom setting.
    This helps you get a feel for different classroom environments and talk with working teachers about the field. Contact a district office, school, or community organization for opportunities. Visit the Community Service-Learning Center to learn more about volunteering, find opportunities to volunteer, and talk to peer advisers about what it's like to volunteer. GoldPass is another great resource to find volunteer opportunities.

Undergraduate education majors

You can major in Agricultural Education, Music Education, or Special Education, and earn your teaching license at the same time you complete your bachelor’s degree.

The U of M also has undergraduate degrees in Elementary Education Foundations and Early Childhood, which offer preferred admission into the graduate level teaching programs.